Monday, February 16, 2009
Post Pregnancy Hair Loss Cont

Post-pregnancy hair loss

Q The saying goes that around the same time a baby starts drooling, a mother will have hair loss. This seemed so for me. It was most obvious when I washed my hair after giving birth. Instead of the usual few strands, I was losing a tidy heap. Is this hormonal? For how long does this go on and is there anything I can do about it?

A Hair growth and hair shedding patterns go through many natural cycles during a person's life. Events like pregnancy can interrupt the natural cycle and result in a temporary change in these hair growth patterns.

At any one time, about 90 per cent of the hair on your scalp is growing. The remaining 10 per cent is in its resting phase. After two to three months, the resting hair falls out and new hair starts to grow in its place.

During pregnancy, more hair goes into the resting phase. A rise in hormones during pregnancy keeps your hair from falling out. After delivery, these hormones return to pre-pregnancy levels which allow the hair to fall out and return to the normal cycle.

The normal hair loss that was delayed during pregnancy may occur all at once and this can be particularly distressing to the new mother.

This condition is known medically as telogen effluvium. It usually peaks three to four months after delivery and between 100 to 300 strands of hair may be shed each day. This hair loss may be most apparent when you are brushing or shampooing your hair. It is a temporary condition and hair loss usually returns to normal in six to 12 months.

I was reading this from a stall
at Compasspoint B1. And ya, I have
been losing alot of hair recently.
I guess it was about the same time
Daven started drooling alot, which
is about 4 months old. I guess,
this is going to last for awhile longer...

~ScReAm iT oUt~ コメントする
0 iScReAmEd

j0tt3d @t 11:45 PM
Me, I && Myself

XueQi aka eRika aka GinGeR

I love to bake,
trying out to cook.
I love cookies,
learning to like making cakes.

I can be nice
or evil.
I can be hyper
or quiet.

Trying my best to always
Love what I do,
and Do what I love.

I serve Nuffnang!

hIdInG pLaCeSsS


The Past Tense

July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
January 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
July 2010
August 2010
December 2010
November 2012
June 2013
July 2013
May 2014
June 2014
July 2014
August 2014
September 2014
October 2014
November 2014
October 2016
November 2016
December 2016
January 2017